Teeth loss is inevitable, whether due to age, trauma, decay, or for any other reason. Choosing the perfect replacement of teeth is very important to continue your daily activity without difficulty. Here comes the ideal substitute for missing or lost teeth, Dental Implants. Nothing can match the aesthetics and functionality of dental implants. They are the next best thing to having your original teeth
There are three main components of dental implants:
- The screw is the portion implanted in the bone, and the secret to a successful treatment is its adherence to the jawbone.
- The abutments.
- The Crown, which is the component of aesthetic and functionality.
Process of Dental Implants
Since Dental Implants are made to last for the rest of your life, the procedure of implant requires careful planning and experienced dentists. At Novestheitca Clinics, your dentist will place a metal screw into your jawbone where your tooth once was. Through this process, the bone cells will grow around the titanium surface of the screw, locking the implant in place. You have to wait for a few months for your jawbone to fuse with this titanium post. This connection is also called osseointegration. Following this, your dentist will place the abutment onto the post or screw which allows the placement of the dental crown to guarantee the final aesthetical result. By that, the implant process is completed and your new implant is firmly anchored within your jawbone, offering you the same feeling just as your natural tooth.
Candidates for Dental Implants
Unfortunately, not everyone is eligible to undergo a dental implant procedure. There are health-related factors that determine if you can start it and other non-health-related factors.
The health-related factors are:
- Having one or more missing or damaged teeth or lack natural teeth roots.
- Having a healthy, full-grown jawbone.
- Having an adequate bone to hold the implants or accept a bone graft.
- Having healthy gum and oral tissues.
- Inability to have a denture or a bridgework tooth replacement.
Other characteristics you should have:
- Willing to spend several months on dental procedures.
- Non-smokers or you don’t drink alcohol.
- Commitment to oral hygiene.
- Motivated to get natural-like teeth again.
As you noticed, there is no age limit to start a dental implant as a lot of patients think.
Stages of Implants
- Tests and plans for the procedure including jawbone health and X-rays and 3D images of the teeth.
- Removal of the damaged tooth if existed.
- Preparation of jawbone by grafting, if needed.
- Placement of the implant.
- Waiting until bone attachment to the implant.
- Placement of the abutment.
- Placement of crown, bridge, or denture.